Friday, July 18, 2008

Fun Friday


Today is the end of the first week of my new blog and i am really glad that i made this blog. I made a really nice Friday night (Shabbat) dinner of chicken, mashed potatoes and vegatables. I made up the recipe for the chicken which turned out to be really good. I made a mixture of mustard, margarine, some spices, matzo meal, and a little soy sauce and put it on top of the chicken. I have never made chicken on my own and i feel really accomplished that it turned out well. I am hoping to start a tradition of making a homemade meal every Friday night as opposed to just having pasta and vegi burgers for dinner. It is something different and i think its nice to have a meal on Friday night. It allows you to rethink how the week went which is I really enjoy. I also think it is a great way to start off the weekend with a beautiful Shabbat dinner.

I really like starting off the weekend with a nice Shabbat dinner because it gives the opportunity for family and friends to come together and discuss their lives over a fun, good meal. Starting off with the traditional blessing over the wine and bread is a nice traditional way to start off the meal. It reminds me that i am Jewish because the blessing over the wine comes from the Jewish bible (Torah). I believe some traditions like the Shabbat dinner are a nice way to remind myself of my religion and how important it is in my life.

Fun Fact: The bread is covered during Shabbat dinner and lunch at the beginning. I have been told the reasoning behind this is the blessing over the wine is said before the blessing over bread and we do not want to hurt the bread's feelings since we are eating it second at the meal.

No comments: